recommended ati graphic hardware

Sebastian Niehaus niehaus at web.de
Wed Jan 26 06:49:49 PST 2011

Hi,

Xavier Bestel schrieb:
> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 15:29 +0100, Sebastian Niehaus wrote:
>> Xavier Bestel schrieb:

>> At least *I* can live without KMS right now if the generic ("non-KMS")
>> mode works fine.
>
> For my part I prefer to have KMS because of the power-management of the
> card. I don't know if you can live with a more recent kernel or if you
> absolutely need a pure squeeze.

I like the idea of getting security updates once Squeeze is stable. But
if there are no other options I might install a non Squeeze kernel. Or
wait for backports.org ...

> I may try booting into UMS mode, but that machine is heavily used a home
> and rebooting isn't that easy. I'll tell you when/if I try.

Thank you.

>> Hint to ATI: I have to spend some money now.

> I don't think they're listening to you. The ATI guys here are just devs,
> on a side-project (the main one being Catalyst). AFAICS OSS linux
> support isn't a selling point (for now ?).

I my perception, ATI made several announcments that they are committed
to open source software and at least they released documentation to
create open source drivers. Correct me if I am wrong.

This is the reason why I decided to look for ATI products. If my
perception is wrong (and someone gives me a hint which graphics chipsets
works better) I will buy a different product. That's all the story: I
just like to buy things which work flawless with my Debian System.

Sincerely,

Sebastian