HDMI output over DVI to HDMI bundled adapter (Radeon HD 3870)

Maciek Sujkowski maciej.sujkowski at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 04:44:55 PST 2011

Hello

Does the radeon driver support HDMI "emulation" over the bundled DVI
to HDMI adapter similar way as the fglrx/catalyst driver does?

I've been trying to get HDMI output on my plasma TV (LG 42PQ1000) via
radeon driver and each time there is "Invalid Format" message on the
screen and there is no HDMI audio as well despite the audio output is
set to HDMI.

The TV doesn't support DVI to HDMI converted signal however under the
fglrx driver there are no issues with picture nor with sound so it
looks like the fglrx driver  is somehow capable of emulating HDMI
through the bundled adapter the way that TV "thinks" that it is
connected to HDMI not DVI - it doesn't work through standard DVI to
HDMI cable however.

Under the fglrx driver there are a lot more modes detected than under
radeon driver and I have also added a 720p (1280x720) mode taken from
fglrx log to radeon modes (using xrandr) but it didn't help as well.

I did the last check on the latest drivers,libraries and the kernel
from xorg-edgers PPA.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards
Maciek