Resetting a mobility M7 7500

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Nov 9 02:42:34 PST 2011

My (old!) laptop stopped displaying anything tonight.

The bios displays (including the bios passwd display, setup, grub menu,
etc) all are blank on both the lcd and vga.  The backlight works
properly, as does dpcm.  But nothing shows on the lcd and the while the
TV senses a signal on the VGA, it is not a valid timing.

KMS, however, works on the VGA (except that it fails to read the EDID
adn defaults to 1024x768), and that continues to work in X.  The Xorg
log suggests that the video card thinks it is mirroring the display to
both the vga and the lcd, but only the TV is happy.

Does anyone have any ideas on how the reset an M7?

This particular failure mode is one I've not seen before.

PS  Should the M7 be able to read the EDID across VGA?

Thanks,

-JimC