radeon 6250 on amd vision

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 06:09:16 PST 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:33 AM, nervoso <lenzi.sergio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone point me to the open source (I need the source code)
> driver for the Radeon 6250HD??
>
> I am using the open source "ati"  xf86-video-ati driver...
> on a FreeBSD 8.2-64
>
> I am having problems on re-initialization of the chip
> that is:
> 1)when I turn on the machine and X starts (gdm) the video is ok at 1366x768
> 2)when I log off, and gdm prompts for the next login, the screen is shifted
> horizontal by half.
> Another screen reset, and the screen is black...
> several resets after, the screen is OK again
> one more reset, and the screen backs to (2)
>
> Any clues????

You can take a look at the KMS code and port the relevant changes to UMS.
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon?h=drm-fixes
There isn't just a simple function to reset the chip, you need to reprogram the
memory controller, the display hardware, etc.
As your problem appears to be display related, I would take a look at the code
in atombios_encoders.c and atombios_crtc.c in KMS and compare it to the code in
atombios_output.c and atombios_crtc.c in the UMS tree.  Your chip is in the
PALM family and has a DCE4.1 based display block.

Alex