Fwd: The driver is very slow with Kicad

Element Green element at elementsofsound.org
Mon Nov 28 12:33:30 PST 2011

Hello,

I happened upon this thread when searching for information on slow
performance with Kicad and the open source radeon driver.
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-driver-ati/2011-August/021077.html

I have a ATI/AMD HD 5800 series video card in my laptop.  I've also been
rather impressed with the open source driver, even compared to Catalyst
(which seems to suffer from many problems, especially with gnome 3).  So
I'm very keen on getting Kicad to be usable with it.

After doing a lot of profiling with sysprof, oprofile and gprof, I
discovered that the open source radeon driver works acceptably when the
radeon Kernel module is not loaded.  I discovered this when I was trying to
switch back to the open source driver from Catalyst and there was an issue
with the Kernel module loading.