HDMI: Image on TV too dark

Frederik Vogelsang frederik.vogelsang at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 13 03:40:07 PDT 2011

2011/10/12 Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com>:
> If it's movies, you might need to adjust the Xv attributes
> (brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, colorspace, etc.) if you are
> using Xv.  Your movie player may have an interface to adjust them, if
> not, try something like xvattr.
No, it is not just related to movies/xv. This also applies to normal
desktop usage. It is also impossible to view some darker images from
my digital camera on my TV without using the xcalib command I posted
earlier. It is definitely not related to a TV setting  - viewing the
same images directly on the TV (through the SD card slot) they look
just fine - only when viewing them through the PC they are too dark.

Any other ideas on how to get around the xcalib "hack"? How is the
brightness for a digital output set anyway? Is it calculated
dynamically? Does it have anything to do with the EDID?

Regards,
Frederik