HDMI: Image on TV too dark

Sean Davis bugs.sdavis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 07:35:33 PDT 2011

Frederik Vogelsang <frederik.vogelsang at ...> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing a strange issue: I have connected my TV to my
> computer via HDMI (AV receiver in between them) and whenever I play a
> movie on my PC the picture looses it's details in dark scenes (dark
> areas become just black). First I tried to change the settings on my
> TV (brightness, contrast, ...) but this did not really make a
> significant change.

Looks like you are experiencing black crush. A problem that occurs when your
PC is using PC levels RGB (0-255) and your TV is set to studio levels RGB
(16-235). The solution is to set your TV to use PC levels RGB.  With Samsung TVs
the option is called HDMI Black Level, consult the manual of your TV for a
similar option.