[Xorg] XInput Hotplug Additions

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Aug 2 17:50:56 PDT 2004

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>
>> The idea is that the arguments given to XAddInputDevice() corresponds
>> to the options you can give in an xorg.conf InputDevice section, e.g.
>>
>>     Section "InputDevice"
>>             Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>             Driver      "mouse"
>>             Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>>             Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>             Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>     EndSection
>>
>> could be configured at runtime from an X client as
>>
>>     XDeviceOption options[] = {
>>       { "Protocol", "IMPS/2" },
>>       { "Device", "/dev/input/mice" },
>>       { "ZAxisMapping", "4 5" },
>>     };
>>
>>     XAddInputDevice(dpy, "Mouse0", "mouse", options, 3);
>

> So this extension is only usable by the Xorg server and other X servers
> with their own configuration methods will not be able to use it?

No, that wasn't the intention.  The XAddInputDevice() API was clearly
inspired by to xorg.conf file, but is was my hope that the
device+driver+options would be general enough that it would work for
other servers too.  If that is not the case, I would like to get
feedback on how to change the API so several server implementations
could be accomodated.

Even so, the available drivers and options will be server specific, and
the client must know what server it is talking to and use options that
work with the server in question.

As an alternative, the XAddInputDevice() and XRemoveInputDevice()
requests could be moved to an Xorg speficic extension, e.g. Xorg-Hotplug.

Kristian