[Xorg] Accelerating KDrive via KAA

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Tue Aug 3 12:20:38 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 05:54, Kdrive Dev wrote:
> I'm currently trying to write a chunk of kaa code to accelerate blits and
> copies.  I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for
> some documentation as to how to go about this.  I'm trying to figure out how
> to get pixmaps allocated in an area of memory that the card can access.  I
> cant seem to divine that from the examples that I have (trident etc.)
>
> This message has some pointers but doesn't let us know how to put pixmaps
> where we want them....
>
> http://xfree86.desiato.de/xfree86/pipermail/xpert/2001-May/008548.html

First of all, be sure that you're working from xserver CVS
(http://xserver.freedesktop.org/), not the old versions of kdrive you
can find in the X.Org or XFree86 trees.  Then, don't look at trident,
since it hasn't been updated.  The ati driver is the most complete, and
mga and mach64 are pretty close up there.  Between those, you should
have good examples of what you need to do.

If you set up the screen like ati, mach64, and mga do, and set
KAA_OFFSCREEN_PIXMAPS, pixmaps will automatically get allocated in
screen memory by kaa and accelerated.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org