[Xorg] Xorg tinderbox chat

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Fri Aug 6 14:35:23 PDT 2004

Kiko, Jim, and I had a chat on Tinderbox this morning.  Some notes:

Current Tinderbox status:
* anholt-LC FreeBSD - has been in state 'compiling' for a couple days
  now, is it dead?
* cfk.cp1 Linux - Appears to be having trouble doing CVS checkouts
  maybe?  Isn't getting very far into the process.
* mh-OpenBSD-amd64 OpenBSD 3.5 - Seems to be having trouble linking a
  library.  Kiko wonders if this is a build system config issue?  Maybe
  a library version mismatch?

For scoping out the set of machines we may eventually want in the
system, Jim mentions that the number of permutations gets quite large,
especially when you look at the breadth of configs, distros, etc.  We'll
probably need to figure out a good 'sparse matrix' that provides
sufficient coverage.  Kiko mentions that Tinderbox also provides
mechanisms for splitting the results out into separate pages.

Bonzai was identified as an important next step to getting additional
value from this setup.  After that, Jim indicated three automated tests
that would be worth hooking in:  xfw4, x11perf, and rendertest.

It was commented that Xorg is going to need to start assembling the
equivalent of a QA-oriented team to investigate, try out, and hook up
these and other tests as we go forward.

There were a lot of other topics touched on, but I hope this captures
the gist of it.

Bryce