[Xorg] why is Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" needed for my scrollmouse to work

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Aug 16 07:01:28 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 06:26, Matthew Walton wrote:

> My Logitech cordless comfort mouse also behaves like this, except it's
> "5 6" as it's only got the one button on the side. Setting the default
> to "4 5" would work for people who've got dead standard wheel mice (such
> as the original kidney-shaped ones from Microsoft) but increasing
> numbers of people seem to have mice with more and more buttons these
> days - not to mention these new ones with scroll wheels that lean from
> side to side as well!!
>
> That said, it may still be a sensible default.

Most users will be using their distro/OS configuration utilities anyhow,
so long as those have options for "5 wheel mice," "6 wheel mice," and so
on, things should just work.

Alternatively... is the x axis always the last two buttons?  I.e., on a
9 button mouse, would you almost always use:

Option "Buttons" "9"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "8 9"

If so, why not just default to using the last two buttons on the mouse?

Also, for USB mice (becoming the most common type of mouse), is it not
possible to query the USB identifier information and consult a mouse
database to get its settings?  If it is easy to install new entries
(there should *always* be a simple shell script in PATH to install new
entries), vendors could even ship .xmi (X Mouse Info) files on disks
with their mice, like they do for Windows, and users can open those in
their file managers and have them be installed.  That might require a
distro specific tool, but at least it would be possible.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.