[Xorg] Solicitation of screen shots of new facilities in action...

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Mon Aug 16 08:17:52 PDT 2004

Hi,
I'm testing things on my own setup here right now (AthlonXP 2600+,
nforce2 based mainboard, ATI Radeon 9500pro, 512mb RAM) with mixed
success. What is the proper configuration that *should* give the
mentioned configuration the best possible performance right now (with
enabled composite extension)? Here are the things I'm worrying about
right now:

1) What kind of kernel of kernel config (2.6) do I need? Do I have to
load the "radeon" module? How do I detect from a running X that it is
actually used?

2) What driver should I use? The included "radeon" or "ati"? Should the
binary driver from ATI work too? Would that be the best driver to use?

3) What should I put in the config? Is enabling the GLX extension
necessary to get good 2D performance? (don't care about 3D) What about
the DRI extension?

4) What steps should I perform to make sure X actually makes use of the
proper drivers and config options? (eg glxinfo, dpyinfo, etc.)

I'm trying to avoid filing bogus performance/bug reports based on a
faulty configuration. So far I have seen rendering errors, slow
performance and a freeze of the machine as soon as I start "glxinfo"
when using the ATI binary drivers. This is with a cvs checkout from
yesterday.