[Xorg] Truly start X in the background ?

dag at bakke.com dag at bakke.com
Thu Aug 26 03:54:53 PDT 2004

Apologies if this is offtopic for this list.

I would like to have xdm start in virtual console 7 (this is under Linux)
without interrupting my work in whatever console I am working in.

I.e. if executing 'xdm' in a console, xdm would daemonize immediately and
let me continue whatever I want to do in the console I started xdm from.
When I need to switch to X, I'll do that with Alt-F7.
I don't think this is doable right now. Would it be a feature of X/xdm or
Linux' console handling?

I do know about chvt(1), but it is still "disruptive" to have the screen
flashing and keyboard handling jumping between console and X.

I also understand that X tries to probe the graphics and monitor during
startup, but is that always mandatory? Could one imagine saving the
results of the initial probing, and feeding that result back to X later.
(Effectively saying: "skip probing, this is what you want").

Regards,

Dag B