Radeon DRI for FireGL T2

Hamie hamish at travellingkiwi.com
Tue Aug 31 03:17:25 PDT 2004

This may be a FAQ already... But owning an IBM Thinkpad r50p with a
FireGL-T2 and 128MB plus  1600x1200 LCD, I'm very interested in getting
the max performance out of my graphics. But not willing to put up with
the very bad limitations of the fglrx drivers (i.e. not being able to
switch to text mode - ALT_CTRL-Fx or suspend). Plus I don't perticularly
like tainting the kernel...

But with the XOrg drivers (X Window System Version 6.7.99.902 (6.8.0 RC
2)) I only get 300 fps in glxgears at 16bpp vs about 2000-3000fps with
the fglrx drivers because the XOrg ones don't do DRI 3D for the 'newer'
chipsets...

Question is, whats the status of support for the 3D acceleration of the
FireGL-T2... Will it be never? Will it be when some bright spark decodes
what the closed-source drivers do? Are the docs available, and it's just
a question of someone finding the time? Or are ATI being their usual
'it's a secret & the world will fall apart if someone else knows how to
program the chipset'?

Is there any way I could help? (I haven't done a lot with the X servers
since the early 90's, but I could get involved again if it would help).

TIA

Hamish Marson.