RenderAccel on IGP?

Francesco Biscani biscani at pd.astro.it
Tue Aug 31 07:59:03 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 15:22, Alex Deucher wrote:
> I suspect it's probably a bug.  Perhaps something broke for IGPs when
> r400 support was added since some of the display code was rearranged,
> .  If I get a chance this week, I'll take a look.
>
> Alex

Thanks for that. I can paste my xorg.conf and/or logs if even remotely useful.

BTW, what are the projects regarding the radeon driver with respect to render
acceleration and other eye-candy goodies? I've tested on RC3 with xcompmgr
and transset; while shadows seem to be working good (performance-wise),
transparency is still unusable. I may have made mistakes in configuration,
but everything seems ok. I'm asking because the nvidia folks seem to get
great performance out of lower-end cards thanks to RenderAccel. Is there any
hope to see something like that also in the open-source radeon driver? Please
do not take this a request, I just would like to know if we can expect or not
improvements in the future on this side.

Thanks,

--
Dr. Francesco Biscani

Dipartimento di Astronomia