xwd debug assistance

Dave Driscoll ddriscoll at triustc.com
Thu Dec 2 08:49:54 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 08:49:49AM -0700, Jens Owen wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Is it possible you are "picking" an overlay window?  Try using one of
> the options to xwd that allow you to specify a window ID.  You'll need
> to use xwininfo to determine the ID of the actual window containing the
> image you want.
>
> You might also look for special options on HP's xwd, they may have modes
> to support multiple layers.
                               /\
>          Jens Owen            /  \/\ _
>   jens at tungstengraphics.com  /    \ \ \   Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Jens,

I tried your suggestions-xwdinfo to get window id then xwd -id (idno) >
filename. Tried it with both -single and -multi options, same results:
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I can run the same command twice
in a row without moving or otherwise altering the windows involved and one of
the saved files will be fine and the other will have a big black chunk
missing. It's this non-deterministic behavior that really has me stumped.  I
tried to send an earlier mail with some screen shots attached but it's been
held by the list administrator for two days now because it was too large so it
looks like it's not going through so I'm trying again. Once again I would
really appreciate any help in debugging this.

Thanks,
Dave