Kdrive tree/status

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Dec 2 10:06:49 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 13:00 -0500, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:37:25 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> > Not easily.  You have to continue to make regular files and other cgi
> > scripts available somehow, and attempting to 'guess' which URLs are part
> > of the wiki and which point elsewhere is a pain.  We had a lot of rewrite
> > rules in the old site and it was rather fragile.
>
> I actually had the old cairographics.org site working quite well with
> mixed static and wiki content at the top-level without leaking much
> implementation detail into the URL. I'll be the first to admit I didn't
> have a minimal set of clean rewrite rules to accomplish this, but it did
> work.

It should be noted that rewrite is an absolute sledgehammer, and while I
loved tooling around with it to do absolutely insane stuff, it's an
absolute resource hog, and trying to con it into mixing static and
shared namespaces is nasty.

Personally, I think the main fd.o site should be static (well, generated
from WML or something, in a shared repository), but that would kind of
require a web team who are good at this sort of thing -- volunteers?

But, er, yeah.  Don't cross the streams, dude!

> > > (I wonder if there is some way to configure Moin to emit
> > > URIs with / rather than _2f... That's a far worse implementation
> > > detail leaking out.)
> >
> > Carl tried for a day or so; it's harder than it should be.
>
> I haven't actually tried fixing this, but I think it's just a bug. I
> checked the newer (unreleased) version of moin and it does not suffer
> from this bug.

Phat.