File encoding

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Dec 3 17:57:54 PST 2004

Around 0 o'clock on Dec 4, Markus Kuhn wrote:

> I found a mixture of ISO 8859-1, ISO 8859-2, ISO 8859-15, ISO 8859-16,
> CP1257, EUC-JP and UTF-8 files so far in xc. In one case, I had to contact
> the author to tell me what the non-ASCII characters in his name are meant
> to look like.

Thanks for your help in this; guessing encoding from a bytestream can't be
all that easy in some cases.  I know I've had trouble today trying to
figure out what Apple text encodings in their 'script manager' mean.  I've
discovered that "Japanese" means SJIS so far, but there are 32 possibilies
for which I have no information.

> There were a few couple of C files that used ISO 8859-1 in char
> constants. I've replace these with hex integers.

Did you leave them in Latin-1?  Is there any reason they shouldn't be
switched to UTF-8 at this point?   I'd like to know where such things are
in any case (I suspect I am guilty of at least a few such).

-keith