Elektrified X.org released (was: X configuration paradigm, and a proposal)

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Mon Dec 6 07:44:29 PST 2004

Jim Gettys wrote:
>>>Resolution we now can handle using randr.
>>
>>Sort of.  RandR falls short in several ways:
>>
>>   1) video memory is always allocated for the largest size root
>>      window (maybe there is already a way for a driver to
>>      know when the amount of video memory can be freed and
>>      reallocated at the current resolution?)
>

> This is an implementation detail ;-).
>
> Yes, we have to fix the implementation.  I'm not sure how painful
> that is.

One possible way to do this could be changing the fb manager code which
currently assumes the root window at the beginning of the memory region
available.

Perhaps it would be an easy start to change xf86InitFBManager() that it
simply allocates the memory required for the root window instead of
plainly REGION_SUBSTRACTing it. This function could return some sort of
handle (like FBLinear), which then is to be used by the driver as a base
for the x/y coordinates in AdjustFrame(). Of course, this approach
assumes quite a bit of video RAM...

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer