Patch for the macedonian XKB layout

Jaroslaw Gorny jaroslav at aster.pl
Tue Dec 7 06:51:45 PST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:53:18 +0100
Damjan <penguinista at mail.net.mk> wrote:

> But also I've noticed that someone has changed the name of the
> keyboard layout from "Macedonian" to "Macedonian (FYROM)". That
> happened in the 1.5 CVS revision.
>
> I don't understand why this was changed, and I must say I find it a
> bit offending. I dont feel its nice to change my contribution to xorg
> in such a way only to offend me and other users of the macedonian
> keyboard layout.
>
> So I'm asking you to change it back to the original (my) version. I
> beleive I have that right. The macedonian keyboard layout is used only
> by macedonians so there's no reason why anyone would feel against it.

Please, forgive for I'm a bit off-topic, but I've got to
say: Damjan, You're right.

I also vote for rejecting this change.
Why?:
1. Keyboard layouts have nothing to do with the countries (or at least
not always). For example I use 'polish' layout, and there's no need to
call it "polish(Poland)"

2. The name of the country is FYROM _only_ because Greek governmant
demand it. There's a province in Greece called "Aegeian Macedonia", and
they think, that only this province should be called "Macedonia" and
nothing else.

After Macedonia (which was a part of Yugoslavia) proclamated
independence, Greece even convinced UN to not affiliate this country, so
they just had to change the name.

So, please, do not call this kbd layout FYROM...

Jarek