generic display reprobing at user's request

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Dec 7 16:08:07 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 17:32 -0600, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> 2) Provide a key combination that allows the user to tell the X server
> to re-probe display devices and re-setup modes.  I like this better, but

Key combination?  Ugh.  Why not make an X extension for a "reconfigure"
command, and then desktop developers or users can just bind that to
whatever key combination they want in their WMs/key-handlers, and X
configuration programs or hotplug scripts or whatever can use the
extension whenever they feel is necessary?