Experimental options

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 12 08:10:16 PST 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

>>>                                                                   ^ 2? :)

>>> libGL should fall back to GLX when the *_dri.so isn't around.  Is it
>>> not?  Even so, it would be nice to make some sort of change to make
>>
>> I don't think it does. At the very least this was broken for me - or maybe
>> I screwed up something else.
>
> It should definitely fall back to indirect rendering, just like when
> there's a problem loading any of the existing 3D drivers.

Well, I have just committed the code, protected by X_R300_DRM option - if
not enabled (which is default) the DRM is not used in any way.

I double-checked (removing r300_dri.so from /usr/X11/lib/modules/dri) and
I still get glxgears lockup. Also, glxinfo returns info as for direct
rendering driver - as, I suppose, it should.

I looked around in radeon_dri.c and could not find any place to gracefully
disable DRI without disabling its use by Xserver.

Perhaps a better (and long-term) solution is to an early version of
Nicolai Haehnle's driver that does not crash - it effectively implements
all-fallback DRI driver.

Suggestions (and patches:) ) are very welcome !

                         best

                            Vladimir Dergachev