ChangeLogging commits to CVS

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Tue Dec 14 01:33:18 PST 2004

More or less by accident I came across commits to the X.Org
tree that have not been properly ChangeLogged.

When we created this repository we made a - yet unwritten - rule
that every commit (maybe with the exception of simple typo fixes)
need to be ChangeLogged properly in the topmost ChangeLog file.

This is to ensure we can easily track changes to the tree back to
when they took place and who made them. CVS itself is file oriented
so it is difficult to track which changes went into the tree as
a whole.

Furthermore the text added to ChangeLog file should also go into
the log of the commit itself.

To simplify the generation of the ChangeLog entry we use a perl
script which I will append to this message.
It can be run in the topmost (xc/) directory and will create a
properly formatted entry. The only thing that remains to do is
to add a brief description about the nature and the purpose of
the change.
The verbosity of this description is pretty much up to everyones
personal taste, please take the descriptions of other commits
as a general guideline.

So far we have not added any check script that enforces this rule
but we may have to do this in the future.

It would be best if all changes that have been applied without
proplery ChangeLogging would get reverted (again without modifying
the ChangeLog) and reapplied this time with a poper entry to the
file.

[A description of the commit procedures should go into the X.Org
wiki and I will add this once the machine is not as slow as it
is right now.]

Egbert.