ChangeLogging commits to CVS

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue Dec 14 07:56:24 PST 2004

Egbert Eich wrote:
> Vladimir Dergachev writes:
>  > 2. Is the use of the script required or optional ? I just find it easier
>  > to make a message by hand when only changing a small subset of tree.
>  > Especially as it might take a while for the script to work through entire
>  > tree..
>  >

> That's true, on the other hand you get a nicely preformated template for
> your commit message.
> No, it is not mandatory as long as you use the same format for your
> commits. However if you maintain a cvsup'ed repository locally (which you
> will have to update before you do any commit) you can speed up this
> procedure considerably by only letting the final commit go into the
> master repository.

Egbert, thanks for bringing this up, I also think it's important that
all changes are listed in the ChangeLog file.  I just wanted to mention
an alternative way of generating ChangeLog entries: if you're using
emacs, you can press  C-x 4 a  in a source file, which will open the
ChangeLog file and add an entry for the file and function the cursor is
in at the time.  Of course, you need to do this manually for each file
you change, but it's still easier than doing the whole thing by hand.

cheers,
Kristian