and the way of compiling dri Re: devel tree

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Fri Dec 17 12:33:00 PST 2004

Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 18:05 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
>
>>>my patches are for Mesa HEAD and what I though is
>>>Mesa and drm part of xorg cvs will be a symbolic link of Mesa HEAD and
>>>drm HEAD.
>>>
>>>And that is, what I am asking for, a new xorg devel-tree.
>>>And may be, I will try ask this again with better English.
>>
>>Xorg's devel tree is Xorg HEAD.  Mesa will be removed from Xorg's xc/extras/
>>tree as soon as humanly possible.  Don't worry about the copy of Mesa in xc;
>>if you want updated Mesa or DRI drivers build them from Mesa.
>>
>>The only reason you might want Mesa HEAD in Xorg HEAD is to build a
>>bleeding-edge libGLcore, which most people don't care about.
>

> bleeding-edge libGLcore never heard before !
> Googleing doesn't help must, so where I can find some docs about the
> libGLcore and bleeding-edge ?

The issue is whether you want to use Mesa's CVS head/trunk code (aka
bleeding edge) or the stable branch (labelled "mesa_6_2_branch"
currently).

On the trunk we might add/remove/change source files at any time.
Unfortunately, this can upset the build process within the X/DRI trees.

For that reason (and general code stability), most people are better
off using the stable Mesa branch in the X tree.  We never add/remove
source files on the stable branch.

The shaderobjects.c file that's been causing you trouble only exists
in the Mesa CVS trunk, not the stable branch.

IMHO, the X/DRI trees should generally stick with the stable Mesa
branch.  If you were to patch the Xserver's Makefiles to use the Mesa
trunk code, you'd be forcing people to use potentially unstable code.
  That would probably cause some grief.

> What I am more concerned is about the correct way of compile and install
> X11 and Mesa and testing last version.

If you're determined to use the latest version of everything, then you
have to be prepared to deal with some problems and often fix or work
around them yourself.

-Brian