Building Xorg modular

evan at coolrunningconcepts.com evan at coolrunningconcepts.com
Fri Dec 17 13:37:07 PST 2004

Hi,

Just a small suggestion ...

I tried building the freedesktop.org X server (one based on Kdrive) modular, and
the x11-libs.  I haven't seen the Xorg modular tree and I haven't read the whole
discussion, but I noticed some comment on order of dependencies and lack of
updated documentation on the wiki.

I tried all sorts of build instructions, and it was all outdated or just plain
wrong and even the guy that wrote the build script on the freedesktop.org site
said he knew nothing about it (odd really).  So, seeing as how all
documentation was old but checked out CVS, I decided I should check out from
CVS but figure out my own way to get it installed and figure out what order
things should go in.

>From my experience, it was easiest to look in the autoconf scripts to see what
the dependencies were, write them down for each package, and then I made
ebuilds for each one (of the freedesktop.org/kdrive and the x11-libs).  I'm
sure some script could go through all the files and create a dependency graph
and/or auto-create a build-script (or ebuilds), or just start building one and
re-run itself recursively on each required package it didn't have installed yet
until it eventually made it through them all.

I use Gentoo, so creating the ebuilds and letting portage figure out the final
order of operations was easy.  I think one of the Gentoo devels was doing some
work on this stuff, but I haven't heard from him since I gave him my ebuilds.
All of mine were based on his work, and I just updated it using his class file.

I've heard portage can be installed on top of OS X, perhaps this would be an
easier build system than trying to do it manually?  Just a thought.

-- Evan