xc/programs considered harmful

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 17 19:53:08 PST 2004

[snip]

> +	Combine released packages together for a 'complete' X release
>
> 	1	Reduce release manager workload.  Right now, the release
> 		manager has to vette patches to individual source files.
> 		With a modular system, the release manager would instead
> 		vette whole package releases.
>
> 	2	Provide different 'profiles', for server, client, docs,
> 		driver authors and application developers.  This would let
> 		people get the new X server without being essentially forced to
> 		also get new X libraries.

[snip]

> It's a chicken-and-egg problem to be sure, but I think the existing
> demonstrations of modularized X environments provide sufficient
> information about the work needed to do the whole job.

I think that CVS allows one to have modules pointing to a subdirectory
within, right ?

This might provide an easy migration path - have xc as is, create new
modules pointing to individual components (Xserver, fonts, library.
programs) and gradually apply patches allowing components to build when
checked out by themselves.

Does this make sense ?

                           best

                              Vladimir Dergachev