R300 idling (new subject)

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 18 10:53:58 PST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Adam Jackson wrote:

>>> We've never guaranteed "prevent lockups in case user-space client screws
>>> up" before.  Generally reducing lockups in that case is nice, I'd say,
>>> but the "must" would be a new requirement.
>>
>> Oh..  This would mean we gave up on security, I hope it is not true..
>
> Our security model is, if you have access to /dev/dri/card? and the X server
> let you connect, then you can write directly to the hardware.  There are
> plenty of other DoS attacks you can perform once you have a connection to the
> server.

I thought that we only let the Mesa driver access "safe" registers and the
rest was done through DRM driver. I understand that many drivers access
video memory directly, but my impression was that this was a compromise to
deliver a working driver earlier and/or for suboptimal hardware.

> Don't like it?  Help me figure out accelerated indirect rendering, which would
> let you restrict drm device access to root (the server) and still get
> accelerated 3d.

This might be fun :) What are the current issues ? Is there a place I can
read about them ?

                         best

                           Vladimir Dergachev