R300 idling (new subject)

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sat Dec 18 12:50:25 PST 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 15:28, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > There's a difference between safe and safe.  The DRM is responsible for
> > anything that, if done in userspace, could lead to a root escalation.
> > For example, if your card can DMA to arbitrary system memory, then DMA
> > triggers need to be done on the kernel side so you don't write a 0 to
> > current->euid.
> >
> > The DRM is not responsible for making sure you don't halt the GPU or the
> > machine.
>
> I guess I don't see it as black and white as this. A GPU lockup usually
> results from hardware entering a configuration outside normal operating
> procedures. If this happens, strictly speaking, we do not know what the
> effect may be. In particular, if one can trigger an unexplained lockup
> it may mean that there is an intermediate state that activates DMA engine.
>
> Sure, this is pure speculation, but paranoia is a foundation of good
> security model, isn't it ?

Possible but highly improbable.  Usually when silicon locks up it becomes
uncommunicative.  And if it's a lockup such that there is no further user
interaction, then it's sort of moot what process has what privs, since the
user can't be the attacker anymore.  Unless you're worried about random bus
writes from the video card triggering disk writes or ethernet dumps of
physical memory, of course...

However we're faced with two intractable problems here: preventing GPU abuse,
and getting usable documentation.  Given the choice, the best use of
developer time is to prevent root attacks and then move on.  Unix has never
guaranteed protection against DoS.  Neither has Windows or MacOS, for that
matter.

- ajax