radeon/r128 patches

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 13:46:34 PST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:10:05 -0500, Brian Victor <bhv1 at psu.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 11:49:19AM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> >> The server doesn't start up.  The short description of the problem is,
> >> "Requested Entity already in use."
> >that patch only implements vgaaccess in the r128 driver.  for dualhead
> >you'll need to apply the patch in but 1760 as well.  I'm planning to
> >post an updated r128 dualhead patch soon. the 'entity in use' error is
> >because the driver you are using is not dualhead aware.  the patch in
> >2089 should allow you to use single head without usefbdev.
>
> Excellent.  I checked out CVS HEAD and applied 1760, and now I have dual
> head working.  I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for that.
>
> I am getting a lot of artifacts on the external display.  They look like
> vsync problems, but the syncs I'm setting in xorg.conf are exactly what
> ViewSonic says the monitor accepts.  xvidtune only wants to manipulate
> the lcd, so I don't know what I can do to fix that.  But I'm assuming
> the artifacts are due to something I'm doing wrong rather than a driver
> bug.

I was getting the same thing a while back. the DDA settings seem to
need to be tweaked a bit for crtc2.  here's what you can try.  in
R128InitDDA2Registers() try adjusting the last line here:

    /*save->dda2_on_off = (Ron << 16) | Roff;*/
    /* shift most be 18 otherwise there's corruption on crtc2 */
    save->dda2_on_off = (Ron << 18) | Roff;

try replacing the 18 above with 16 or 17.  acording to the specs it
should be 16, but I get pretty bad artifacts with 16. 18 works
perfectly for me.

Alex