xc/programs considered harmful

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Dec 19 13:16:38 PST 2004

Around 19 o'clock on Dec 19, Ely Levy wrote:

> Doesn't it also include removing packages which are not maintained by
> xorg?

Oh, yes absolutely.  I guess that seemed so obvious that I didn't remember
to list it explicitly.

For building convenience, we might snag 'golden' tarballs for some
less-than-universally-common packages and stick them on an FTP server, but
we shouldn't ship them as part of an X.org release.

X.org should ship only what it is the canonical upstream source for,
everything else should be fetched from the real maintainers.

-keith