New clipboard proposal

John Davidorff Pell johnpell at mac.com
Thu Dec 30 16:03:52 PST 2004

I'm not an X developer, but I am a user, and I thought I'd comment. :-)

I don't like the dependance on dbus. Why can't the X server itself
maintain the contents of the various clipboards? (assuming they're
under some size-limit, which will also have to be addressed by this
clipboard-manager/dbus thing)? This would remove the need for a new
clipboard type, advertising a new TARGET, a new library, dependance on
dbus, fallback to a sub-optimal protocol, the clipboard manager itself,
and needing for
new-clipboard-using-applications-talking-to-old-clipboard-using-
applications to do something special. That's all of your proposal,
except the history, persistence, and the massive-clipboard management,
btw. History could be added by having some application catch all
changes to whichever clipboard it is listening to and storing it, which
is what your clipboard manager would do anyway.

I'm not sure if an X client (Owner of PRIMARY, for example) is allowed
to change the information that it would provide between when it
advertises and when it actually is asked to provide. If it is, then
both our solutions break.

I think you're looking for over-kill. Why can't we write a (very) small
extension to the X server that just keeps track of the contents of the
various selections? This really would solve almost all of the problems.
This solves selection loss because of an application quitting, which I
think is the most user-visible problem.

For massive-data-transfer, both an X extension and some dbus
implementation will require transfers of huge amounts of data between
processes. On Winblows (M$ does get *some* things right), in M$ Word
when you quit word with a large clipboard it asks if you want that
clipboard to continue to be available after Word quits. This is just
what the X server should do. If an application provides a clipboard
that is larger than the predefined-max-for-storage-in-X-server-memory
then the user should be asked (by either the X server, or the
Application) if he or she wants the selection to last. This means that
the server is not bogged down with huge clipboards (which your
clipboard manager would also have to deal with), and if the user wants
to keep the clipboard available, he or she will have the option to.
This solves the massive-transfer problem.

As for clipboard persistence between invocations of the X server, I
personally don't see that as useful in any but corner cases. It can,
however, be addressed in the same way that history is provided: by a
very small watcher application that just loads its initial history from
file before it starts watching for X selection changes.

$0.02

JP

P.S. I don't think anyone appreciates this super-cross posting that
you've done...

--

  -
/~\ The ASCII