libdrm issues blocking accelerated indirect GL

Keith Whitwell keith at tungstengraphics.com
Fri Dec 31 06:05:45 PST 2004

Dave Airlie wrote:
>>There are also three client-side pieces: libGL, *_dri.so, and (uh-oh) drm.
>>'drm' here is libdrm, which lives in /cvs/dri/drm and is occasionally
>>imported into X as hw/xfree86/os-support/$(uname)/drm.  libdrm is identical
>>on both sides, modulo wrapping some things like malloc to use either the Mesa
>>or X version.
>

> It also lives in Mesa at src/mesa/drivers/dri/dri_client,
>
> we really need to drop the copy in Mesa and use the one in the DRM for
> building the -dri drivers,
>
> I'm not sure what my opinion on the best way to move forward is, all
> options look messy, as usual we always need to handle the old libGL/new
> driver cases and new libGL/old driver, I'll think about it some more and
> hopefully Ian or Keith voices some directional opinion :-)

I'm about to head out for a few days, but in general I think I prefer
the idea of a free-standing libdrm.so which can be referenced by the
client drivers and DDX drivers as well as any future users of the drm.

As for whether this should be dlopen'd or just linked against normally,
I'm pretty neutral.

Keith