[Xorg] PEX and XIE

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Fri Feb 27 11:42:21 PST 2004

Roland Mainz writes:

 > Mozilla's Xlib toolkit has support for XIE... and maybe the (default)
 > GTK+ toolkit for Mozilla get it's XIE support back since this gives a
 > huge speedup for image scaling/blending on platforms who still have XIE
 > support available by default (I am looking here at Solaris/Xsun :) ...
 > PEX can (IMO) be removed... but if you remove XIE it would be nice to
 > provide an alternative which supports things like image scaling,
 > rotation and blending (RENDER doesn't count - it's broken by design...
 > ;-/).

If it really gives a signifficant speedup this issue
should be reinvestigated. I once was told it was slow.
That it is faster on Solaris may be as SUN has enhanced it.

It was disabled in XFree86 for quite a while and nobody
complained. Anyway, for this release its too late but
we can reenable it in the future.

Cheers,
	Egbert.