[Xorg] Keyboard drivers: kbd vs. keyboard

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Jul 5 16:37:04 PDT 2004

Hi,

I was looking at the keyboard driver situation, and I was wondering why
we keep the legacy, built-in keyboard driver around,

I made a patch[1] to remove the "keyboard" driver, which among other
things removes os specific xf86KbdLnx.c and others from xfree86/common,
removes all sorts special cases around initialization, and in general
removes much keyboard logic from xfree86/common and 4300 lines in total.

I chose to rename the modular "kbd" driver to "keyboard" so old config
files should continue to work.

I think this is worthwhile, but what are the cons?  It's such a
low-hanging fruit; there must be a good reason the legacy driver is
still used.

Kristian

[1] http://freedesktop.org/~krh/remove-legacy-keyboard.patch