[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jul 5 17:37:31 PDT 2004

Around 15 o'clock on Jul 5, Egbert Eich wrote:

> We could probalby stick a large amount of this into the kernel and make 85
> to 90 percent of the users happy. The reason why I don't advocate this but
> instead suggest to try to do as much as possible from user land is that I
> don't want to make the other 10 to 15 percent unhappy by giving them the
> finger.

My position here is to avoid taking a position -- migrate the existing mode
selection logic behind a new API and get the X server running on top of
that.  This shouldn't cause any portability regressions, and will offer
individual driver authors the opportunity to experiment with different
user/kernel partitions without forcing everyone to choose a single
architecture.

Given that some cards will (always?) require user-mode support, we'll have
to provide all of the necessary hooks to grant kernel mode drivers access
to this logic, so there's no benefit in pushing anyone to migrate right
away.

-keith