[Xorg] X on OpenGL

Matthew Walton matthew at alledora.co.uk
Sun Jul 11 08:51:54 PDT 2004

Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> - vblank notification
>
> OpenGL doesn't deal with this at all. Applications will want a Sync
> counter to block on. To do that the server needs to be notified when
> vblank starts. Ideally it would be possible to get notifications when
> the beam reaches a given scanline.

Okay, I know very little about these things (I'm only really on this
list because I'm interested in the whole project, and might even learn a
few things here and there), but isn't relying on things like vblank a
bit ill-advised in this age where we're increasingly going to be talking
to LCD panels over a DVI link? Or does it simulate all that (what I
would consider to be) completely unnecessary analogue stuff which only
exists because of the design of the common or garden CRT?

If it does, urgh. Presumably if it's being used in current X systems, it
must be, as I'm using X happily on an LCD plugged into the DVI port of
my Radeon 9800 Pro. Maybe things haven't been moving on as fast as I
thought...