[Xorg] OT: radeon questions

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 12 02:06:57 PDT 2004

Greetings;

A patch for the kernels radeonfb just went by on lkml, and I've
applied it and am rebuilding 2.6.8-rc1.

I just ran lsmod and found that allthough I have it made as a module,
it wasn't loaded, and neither is anything that looks like dri.

I've added a 'modprobe radeonfb' to my rc.local but haven't yet
rebooted.  modprobing it while x is running (XFree86-4.3.2) resulted
in severe screen damages that required several screen switches to
fully recover, and it seems (subjectively) to be slower.  glxgears is
apparently not using it under these conditions, still in the 170-200
fps area.  Thats essentiually a 'no change'.

Currently that portion of the lsmod output looks like this:

[root at coyote drivers]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
radeonfb               56936  0
cfbcopyarea             3904  1 radeonfb
cfbimgblt               3008  1 radeonfb
cfbfillrect             3712  1 radeonfb

So its loaded but apparently not being used.

Where is the really proper place to put the loading commands (and the
synatx to do it) so I get it all, well before X is started by hand
after I login at runlevel 3?

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.