[Xorg] Re: X on OpenGL

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Jul 12 12:18:09 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 23:45, Andy Sy wrote:
> I certainly would have to defer to the judgement of those who are
> more familiar with the API and the its implementation efficiency on
> different cards, but considering how ironic the fact that it is an
> API which was expressly developed to rely on an external 2D window
> manager and is now being used to implement one itself, I believe
> many would need more convincing as to its appropriateness.

OpenGL was partitioned to be independent of the windowing system because
OpenGL is a rendering system ONLY and because OpenGL needed to co-exist
with existing windowing systems on various platforms.

A windowing system includes as one its many roles the task of rendering.
Assigning the task of rendering for a windowing system to a rendering
API which is windowing system neutral is completely consistent with the
design goals of OpenGL.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>