Xserver needs to run as "root" on Linux / was: Re: [Xorg] Server side widgets

Ralph Thomas ralpht at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 08:45:12 PDT 2004

I don't claim to know anything about OS security, but that's not going
to stop me from openly opining :).

You could just have two different device files for each keyboard, call
them "/dev/keyboard" and "/dev/keyboard-special".

On "/dev/keyboard-special" you could have two new ioctls defined:
  - "Exclusive" means that keypresses ONLY get reported by
"/dev/keyboard-special"

  - "NonExclusive" means that keypresses get reported by
"/dev/keyboard" and "/dev/keyboard-special" (and through any other
means that keypresses get reported)

Then you could have some daemon listen to "/dev/keyboard-special" for
ctrl+alt+delete or whatever and then issue the "Exclusive" ioctl and
do it's secret password and username stuff - once it had done that it
could issue the "NonExclusive" ioctl.

The security comes when you have an ability to restrict access to
"/dev/keyboard-special", either by file permissions or some more
elaborate SELinux setup.

--ralpht