[Xorg] BadDrawable when fowarding display

Matthew Sims matt at killermookie.org
Thu Jul 15 10:09:56 PDT 2004

Hello all,

I searched a little through the archives and have been combing over Google
Groups to find any help with my issue. I hope this is the correct mailing
list for this.

I just installed Slackware 10. A fresh, clean install. My X version:

Release Date: 18 December 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.26 i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux tron 2.4.26 #21 Mon Jun 14 19:17:44
PDT 2004 i686
Build Date: 05 June 2004
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
Module Loader present

Now I had a problem forwarding X displays to this new linux setup. At
first I was simply getting a "Unable to open display" error. I ended
up recreating the .Xauthority and it helped...somewhat.

I can forward over /usr/openwin/bin/xlogo and admintool (the remote
server is Solaris). But I can't forward a third-party application. I
get this error now:

X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  73 (X_GetImage)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x40
  Serial number of failed request:  132

>From what I've read around the internet, I get the feeling that the
app is having issues drawing itself on my local desktop due to a
possible naming problem or resolution issue? I couldn't find anything
a little more specific.

I did a man on XGetImage and it does make a mention about BadDrawable
but I'm unable to follow what it means and what I should look for.

Maybe someone could point to some possible items to check out? :)

--Matthew Sims
--<http://killermookie.org>