[Xorg] XServer internals

Fri Jul 23 09:47:01 PDT 2004

Amir Bukhari wrote:
> I began to dive on X implementation. It lacks me a documentations of its.
> The code is not well good documented and its very big to follow it. I have
> already read ddx document from hardcopy/Xserver/ddx.PS.gz and it give me a
> good start.
> If you know others docs or internet site or books about Xserver internals,
> please don't hesitate to tell me :-)

There is a long out-of-print book on Xserver Internals that used to be
published by Digital Press.  While it was written for X11R5, many of the
basic concepts, especially the high level overview of how the code is
broken down into mi, dix, and ddx layers, is still relevant.  Finding a
copy via used channels may be a bit of work, but it's still the best introduction
of it's kind I know of.   (If only we could get Digital Press to open source
it so it could be updated to modern X servers...)

The X Window System Server: X Version 11, Release 5, Elias Israel and Erik Fortune,
Digital Press - Digital Equipment Corporation, Bedford MA, 1992. ISBN 1-55558-096-3

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com