[Xorg] OLS and console rearchitecture: second pass

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 18:09:10 PDT 2004

--- Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at engr.sgi.com> wrote:
> > 2) VGA control - there needs to be a device for coordinating this.
>
> Are you thinking of something like /dev/vga that you'd ioctl to
> select a device?

Probably, Alan Cox will probably make the final decision on that one.

This device needs calls to:
1) disable all VGA devices for sure.
2) enable a VGA device and make sure none of the other ones are
enabled.
3) maybe list all VGA devices, but you can do this via sysfs and the
pci space.
4) which device is the currently active device
5) monitor hotplug for new VGA devices or removal of one
6) anything else?

I tried playing with this and I actually got VGAcon to jump between two
cards. The VGA control code is in the DRM driver at
bk://mesa3d@bkbits.net/drm.

It would be cool to set the console onto a CompactFlash/Cardbus VGA
card, then pull the card out and have the console automatically move to
the laptop display. Google around there are several laptop video cards available.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com