[Xorg] CVS HEAD -- ftfuncs.c:931: error: structure has no membernamed `find_sbit_image'

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 30 09:59:54 PDT 2004

Around 10 o'clock on Jul 30, Egbert Eich wrote:

> People still using an older version are not expected to update to
> a version higher than 2.1.8 later if they are not willing to update
> to 2.1.8 now.

Correct.  Those people may see limits in what the X distribution can do
with the older version of FreeType.

> For these the internally shipped version 2.1.8 would
> give them the opportunity to use newer code than what they already
> have.

For people with 2.1.9, the standard settings will cause them to use older
code than they already have.

> it is appropriate to ask Chisato to #ifdef his code on the version of
> FreeType however I feel it is not fair to threaten with the deletion
> of his code.

We've discussed CVS policy several times in the last months.  One of the
the ideas was that code which breaks the build on 'most' platforms would
need to be fixed or get backed out until it's ready for distribution.

We also agreed that the person who applied the patch would be responsible
for fixing things to match the communities goals.   I would never
unilateraly revert anyones changes against their wishes, but I would
rather have support for currently shipping versions of FreeType than this
new functionality.

My goal is to have a working build in as many "reasonable" environments as
possible.  Some of those "reasonable" environments would be current
releases of the major Linux platforms.  Right now, that's broken and must
be fixed.

We have two ways of fixing it -- provide our own version of FreeType or
allow our code to use older versions.

Forcing people to upgrade to our version of a vendor provided library that
we aren't responsible for is irresponsible.  Those people will be left
unable to take advantage of vendor-provided security and stability fixes in
those libraries.

Our default build should use as much of the system-provided functionality
as possible; if that limits the flexibility or performance of some parts
of the system, that's OK.  It's far better to accept those limits than to
accidentally cause major headaches by having multiple versions of the same
library on a machine.

I think the changes needed to work with older versions of FreeType are
minimal, let's get those into the tree so we can support as many
environments as possible.

-keith