[Xorg] CVS HEAD -- ftfuncs.c:931: error: structure has no membernamed `find_sbit_image'

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 30 13:44:23 PDT 2004

Around 21 o'clock on Jul 30, Egbert Eich wrote:

> I remember discussing CVS policies however I don't remember that this
> has ever been a major issue in these discussions. You may see it as
> a corollary of what was discussed.

We certainly haven't come up with a completely concrete CVS policy yet.
It's nice to see minor issues like this one that we can use as examples of
how such a policy should work.  Instead of letting problems fester for a
week or more, it would be nice to see them addressed promptly and
decisively so that each user won't have to learn about the 'official
workaround'.

> Instead I remember that people felt the fact that 2.1.7 was not widely
> deployed should not stop us from shipping as people felt the new features
> of the application that required 2.1.7 (I think it was Xft) are badly
> needed. There was no talk of making this code backward compatible.

The problem with 2.1.7 was that it was not ABI compatible with 2.1.6, so
code compiled against 2.1.6 would run incorrectly against 2.1.7, and code
compiled against 2.1.7 would not run at all against 2.1.6.

I don't know if this was completely clear during the 6.7.0 discussions
though; the precise nature of the problem is complicated.

> I just don't like to see unequal treatment of groups that are not as vocal
> here as you and me and thus easily get ignored.

Yes, we need to respect the needs of all of our users and make informed
decisions about what the software does.  That's why we should work hard to
get this feature into the release for that group of people still stuck with
core-font based applications.

Getting a patch into the code which supports FreeType 2.1.7 seems like a
practical and non-discriminatory plan.

-keith