[Xorg] Dynamic mouse accelaration

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Jun 7 06:49:32 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 08:36, Alex Deucher wrote:

> > No, if it is GPL this is unlikely.
>
> Why not just include it along with a copy of the GPL?  Some of the
> other code in X has different licenses. IANAL, but can't different
> modules with different licenses live together?  Just change the overall
> X.org license to say "modules are licensed with their respective
> licenses. see source."  the X.org/xfree86 licenses can continue to have
> their licneses and new modules can have whatever open source license
> they want...

Depends on how you interpret the license.  When working with modules on
an old project some years ago I contacted the FSF legal advice to ask
about mixing BSD/MIT licenses with GPL.  According to them (and thus to
anyone else who interprets the GPL the way they do) if you link a GPL
module to a BSD/MIT project, that project then implicitly is also GPL,
and thus other modules you link in must be GPL compatible, or else you
are violating the license of the GPL module.

That, to me, sounds 100% correct in terms of the *spirit* of the GPL
("don't use me with proprietary code"), but I won't claim that it's
actually legally enforceable.  An independent lawyer would be best to
answer that.

> Alex
>

> > Egbert.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.