[Xorg] Dynamic mouse accelaration

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Jun 7 08:35:59 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 11:23, Ely Levy wrote:

> GPL never changes the license of anything, the only question is if its
> GPL compatible or not, and as stated in FSF site the new BSD/MIT licenses
> are GPL compatible and therefore can be used.
> for example linking staticly to xlibs by a GPL app doesn't make xlibs
> GPLed, and the other way around for BSD licensed program linking to GPLed
> library. (I'm sure google would provide few examples).

I think you are missing the point.  A GPL work cannot, in spirit, be
linked to any non-GPL compatible code.  Thus, if you link a GPL module
to the X sources, then those sources become *implicitly* GPL.  Their
license does not change, but they now have the properties of the GPL
because you cannot link non-GPL compatible modules to those sources so
long as the GPL module is also linked in.  You can't link a GPL module
to BSD source that links to non-Free source.  That is a loophole that
the GPL explicitly tries to defend itself against.  Otherwise,
proprietary software houses could take any GPL code they want, make a
thin BSD licensed wrapper, and link it all in to their non-Free
application.

> Ely
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.