[Xorg] Switching from dual to singlehead and technical documentation

Alex Deucher agd5f at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 9 16:06:16 PDT 2004

--- Philip Van Hoof <spamfrommailing at freax.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> For many typical presentation purposes, it would be very useful to
> have
> a tool to enable and disable dual-head (and xinerama) configs on the
> fly.

you can do that to a certain degree with MergedFB and xrandr.  start X
with mergedfb set to a dualheaded desktop, then you can resize it on
the fly with xrandr assuming you've specified clone modes in your
config.  MergedFB is available for radeon in DRI cvs, and for sis in
all xfree86 derived trees.

> I often find myself in a situation where I want to enable or disable
> the
> dual-head setting of my x-server while not being 'okay' with the fact
> that this means restarting all my desktop applications (because, of
> course, they will stop with the restarting of my xserver).
>
> As a developer I am willingness to help if somebody is putting
> efforts
> in getting this supported or writing tools that enable people to do
> this. I don't have enough experience with the huge code of Xorg or
> whatever component that would be responsible for this to start
> developing this on my very own. It would take me days just to know
> where
> to start. That's not very productive of course.

Right now we have to decide, in the restructured xserver, which parts
will live where (user vs. kernel), then we can implement a more dyanmic
system on top of it.

Alex