[Xorg] DRI merging

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 08:40:42 PDT 2004

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:44:43 +0200, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 23:17 -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > I would like to see a merge from DRI CVS to X.Org in the near future.
> > Is there any opposition to this?
>
> No opposition, but a concern: Where are we going to integrate the DRI
> with the Composite extension, in the X.Org or DRI tree? I'd be in favour
> of moving the DRI tree to a branch of the X.Org tree altogether, but I'd
> like to hear what other people's current opinions are on this.

I agree.  While we are on the subject, there are also two big patches
that ought to be merged at some point which could make the merge from
the DRI somewhat more complicated.  The first is Ati's new radeon code
drop (with revamped crtc handling, r4xx suppot, and render accel) and
the second is the new intel DDX.  since the intel driver now supports
multi-head and ryan's latest work removes the hallib requirements from
the matrox driver, it might be a good time to decide how to proceed
with mergedfb.  right now it's all DDX specific code, but most of it
could be made generic, which would make it easier to support mergedfb
in all the drivers that currently support dualhead (intel, matrox,
sis, radeon, etc.).  Doing this may, however, affect compatibility
with xfree86 unless they picked up the patches.

> > Talking with daniels on irc, I understand there might be license
> > concerns floating around.  DRI CVS hasn't had a merge from XFree86 since
> > 4.3.99.12, which was before the license changes.
>
> Yeah, I've always voiced my opinion against infecting the DRI tree with
> the new XFree86 licence. I don't know about the X-Oz licence though.

I'd rather not mess with that either.