[Xorg] DRI merging

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 08:34:46 PDT 2004

--- Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sul, 2004-06-13 at 03:07, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Why not help getting mesa-solo working so that we can move to X on top of
> > OpenGL?
>
> For one, in the two years that is going to take to bear fruit, we need a
> working X server. Two because mesa-solo isnt supported on most of
> the Xorg platforms.

The Microsoft Longhorn UI is going to trounce Linux on the desktop if we don't
get to work on a response. Getting mesa-solo running everywhere wouldn't take
two years if more people would pitch in and quit arguing. Right now we should
have a working xserver/mesa-solo this summer, even sooner if there was more
help.

I'm not sure if you mean platforms as in OS or platform as in cards, but
mesa-solo runs on the fbdev driver using software mesa. Between fbdev and the
accelerated drivers that covers all of the more common hardware.

All of the pieces needed to get xserver running on mesa already exist; all we
need to do is pull everything together.  xserver on GL is an architecture that
will be good for at least another ten years while the current XAA architecture
is close to the end of it's life.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com